Attendance to school is a significant factor in a student’s success at Friesland, when children attend school regularly they perform well. It is important that all of our students arrive to Friesland on time and ready to learn, so that they experience a positive start to the day and lose no learning time.
Good attendance and punctuality are important life skills that are highly valued by employers, training providers, colleges and universities. At Friesland we ensure that our students are prepared for the next stage of their lives by placing a strong emphasis on both throughout our curriculum.
Attendance to school is a legal requirement and we expect our students, where able, to attend every day. As a school we have an attendance target of 96%.
- Ensure that your child attends school regularly, punctually, properly equipped and ready to learn
- Notify the school of absence by 8.15 a.m. on the day your child is ill – you can ring 0115 939 7326, email firstname.lastname@example.org or send a message through the My Ed app
- Take family holidays in the school holiday periods
- Provide up to date contact details and telephone numbers for every adult with parental responsibility. If the details change then the school must be informed as soon as possible(you can update these details online via this link)
- In the event that your child is absent and we have not been notified the school will make contact via telephone, text/app message or home visit.
Families must obtain permission from the Headteacher to take their child out of school during term time. This should be done by contacting your child’s Pastoral Leader. Permission will only be granted in exceptional circumstances.
Attendance support procedures
- Friesland will seek to contact families when a child is absent on the day and may carry out home visits for contact and safeguarding purposes
- Friesland will contact families by letter where attendance becomes a concern and may offer support via the Pastoral Team
- Friesland’s extensive pastoral team will support families with attendance issues and concerns where appropriate
- Friesland will work with outside agencies to support families with attendance where appropriate
- Friesland will issue a Penalty Notice for any holidays taken during school term time
- Friesland will issue Penalty Notice proceedings where there is a significant amount of unauthorised absence